Sep 28, 2022
The Students Engaging, Responding, Volunteering, & Impacting Communities Everywhere (SERVICE) Certificate requires 12 credit hours of coursework (or equivalent). The certificate requires 6 credit hours of coursework to come from the College of Education and provides the option of the additional 6 hours to be attained from any TTU unit with appropriate service learning courses/options available. Service Learning opportunities are available in a number of courses offered by the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, but students may also accumulate hours by self- identifying and pursuing service learning opportunities in the community.
Up to 6 credit hours of the 12 required may be certified by completing the equivalent of 90 clock hours (1 credit hour = 15 clock hours) of service learning. These hours must be pre-approved by the TTU Office of Service Learning who will track hours accumulated and maintain records of completion. Students will be able to count these hours in the certificate by enrolling in a Service Learning course (zero credits; no cost) in the semester in which the hours are completed.
- The definition(s) of Service Learning as documented by the TTU Office of Service Learning will be used to guide decisions concerning what activities can be approved for the certificate. Decisions of that office will preside.
- Coursework/clock hours for service learning in which students are receiving compensation (e.g., paid tutoring) and/or financial gain (e.g.., scholarships) cannot be counted for the certificate as this would constitute double-dipping.
Students may choose from among the courses listed below. Special topics courses can be offered at both undergraduate and graduate levels as needed to provide additional opportunities. Please talk with the Department of Curriculum & Instruction for details.
Students may also take any course certified by the TTU Office of Service Learning as eligible (see their website each semester for updated lists).
- College of Education Courses (see appropriate list of courses below): 6-12 credit hours*
- Advisor Guided Electives (see appropriate list of courses below) or Pre-Approved clock hours: 6 credit hours
- TOTAL: 12 credit hours
*Note: Certificate requires 6 credit hours of coursework to come from within the College of Education. (See list of course prefixes listed below.)
Courses Open to Education Majors
Courses Open to All Majors
College of Education Course Prefixes
- CTE - Career Technical Education
- CFS - Child and Family Studies
- CUED - Curriculum Education
- ECED - Early Childhood Education
- ECSP - Early Childhood Special Education
- ELED - Elementary Education
- ESLP - English as a Second Language Pedagogy
- FOED - Foundations of Education
- INSL - Instructional Leadership
- LSCI - Library Science
- READ - Reading
- SEED - Secondary Education
- SPED - Special Education
- ABAP - Applied Behavioral Analysis
- EDU - Education
- EDUB - Behavior
- EDUC - Young Children
- EDUL - Literacy
- EDUP - Program Planning & Evaluation
- EDUS - STEM Education
- CSED - Computer Science Education
- ESOL - English as a Second or Other Language
- SVCL - Service Learning
- EXPW - Exercise, Physical Education and Wellness
- HEC - Human Ecology
- MUS - Music
- MUED - Music Education
- EDUH - Health Behavior/Wellness Education