Jul 03, 2022
A minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the master’s degree is required. At least 15 semester hours must be taken in courses numbered at the 7000 level and no courses below the 6000 level shall be counted for credit unless written approval is obtained from the student’s advisory committee, the chairperson of the department in which the student is majoring, and the Director of Graduate Studies.
In the Department of Counseling and Psychology, a maximum of three (3) semester hours of departmentally approved 5000-level credit may be included in a Specialist in Education Degree program of study.
Upon approval from the student’s advisory committee, up to twelve (12) credit hours from a previously earned 60 hour master’s degree program, can be counted toward the Ed.S. degree.
The Ed.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling consists of 15 guided electives plus 15 credit hours of concentration course blocks as defined below.
Students who have completed a 60 hour Master’s degree in counseling only need to complete one of the 18 hour blocks below that they have not already completed in their Master’s degree.
- Required Concentration Courses: 15 hours
- Advisor Guided Electives: 15 hours
- Total Degree Requirement: 15 hours
Required Concentration Courses (15 hours)
Advisor Guided Electives
Students, at the advice of their advisor and/or committee, may take 5000, 6000, or 7000 level courses from the following subject list. (Note that there is a limit of 9 credit hours at the 5000 level.)
- AGED - Agriculture Education
- CTE - Career Technical Education
- CFS - Child and Family Studies
- CUED - Curriculum Education
- ECED - Early Childhood Education
- ECSP - Early Childhood Special Education
- ELED - Elementary Education
- ESLP - English as a Second Language Pedagogy
- FOED - Foundations of Education
- INSL - Instructional Leadership
- LSCI - Library Science
- READ - Reading
- SEED - Secondary Education
- SPED - Special Education
- ABAP - Applied Behavioral Analysis
- EDU - Education
- EDUB - Behavior
- EDUC - Young Children
- EDUL - Literacy
- EDUP - Program Planning & Evaluation
- EDUS - STEM Education
- CSED - Computer Science Education
- ESOL - English as a Second or Other Language
- SVCL - Service Learning
- EXPW - Exercise, Physical Education and Wellness
- HEC - Human Ecology
- MUS - Music
- MUED - Music Education
- EDUH - Health Behavior/Wellness Education
Course Substitutions are allowed upon approval of the graduate advisory committee, department chair/director, and dean of the college.