Dec 04, 2020  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Music, Instrumental Music Education Licensure, B.M.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Organization and Programs of Study

(Leading to the Bachelor of Music Degree and the Apprentice License, with endorsement, Grades K-12)

Music Education

Students majoring in music education will follow either the Instrumental or Vocal/General curriculum. Students must select a major performing medium for private study; Instrumental Majors select a band or orchestral concentration, and Vocal/General majors select voice, piano, or organ.

Moreover, music education students must:

  1. Enroll for private study in the major performing medium each semester of full-time residency.
  2. Participate each semester in the Ensemble of Record specific to the student’s instrument:
    1. Piano: Concert Choir, University Bands, or University Orchestra
    2. Strings: University Orchestra
    3. Voice: Concert Choir or Chorale
    4. Wind/Percussion:
      Fall – Marching Band
      Spring – University Bands
  3. Participate each semester in either studio or departmental recital and, at the discretion of the studio instructor, perform as a soloist in public recital.
  4. Attend twelve (12) recitals or concerts during each semester of full-time residency.
  5. Satisfy the proficiency examinations in piano, harmony, aural techniques, and sight singing.


Total: 33

Total: 36

Total: 32

Senior Year

Total: 28


1 This course not included in 128-hour curriculum.
2 Students with no vocal experience must enroll in one semester of MUS 1021 , Class Voice, and one semester of MUS 1070 , Concert Choir.  Students with previous vocal training enroll for two semesters in a choral ensemble (MUS 1070).
3 Instrument classes, 5 hours. Take MUS 1031 , MUS 1041 , and MUS 1051 , plus two from: MUS 1032  (string students), MUS 1042  (brass and percussion students), MUS 1052  (woodwind and percussion students), MUS 1071  (woodwind, brass, strings, piano and guitar students) or MUS 1081  (piano and guitar students)
4 Must submit evidence of current First Aid/CPR training.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Organization and Programs of Study