Jun 10, 2023  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission to the Graduate School

Applications for admission to the Graduate School should be made to the Office of Graduate Admissions at least four weeks prior to the anticipated date of registration. (International students should submit applications at least six months in advance.) Applications for readmission must be filed no later than two weeks before the first day of registration.

Each application must be supported by official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate credit, three recommendations from persons acquainted with the applicant’s scholastic and professional accomplishments (Master of Business Administration requires one recommendation), student health form and official scores made on the following: (1) all applicants into programs in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Ph.D. program in the College of Education, and all programs in the College of Engineering must submit scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination; (2) all applicants for admission into the Master of Business Administration program must submit scores on the Graduate Management Admission Test; and (3) all applicants into programs in the College of Education must submit a recent score on the Miller Analogies Test (Master’s or Ed.S. only) or Graduate Record Examination. 

Admission to graduate study is on a merit basis and is limited to applicants who hold an earned bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited institution whose undergraduate or graduate work is, in the opinion of the Office of Graduate Admissions and the chairperson of the department in which the applicant proposes to study, of sufficient quality and scope to indicate high promise of success in graduate study.  The University reserves the right to require additional information and/or performance when it appears that such would be appropriate to the accomplishment of degree requirements or the fulfillment of accreditation objectives.

International students having adequate preparation for graduate study may apply for admission, but applications should be filed at least six months prior to the anticipated date of enrollment. Additionally, all students from non-English speaking countries must submit proof of adequate training and ability in the use of English as evidenced by a score of at least 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 79 internet-based on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), a base score of 5.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or completion of level 9 at the FLS International Language Center.  If admitted to the Graduate School, such students shall have as a condition attached to their admission the requirement of an additional examination which is arranged for and conducted by FLS International Center or exempt based on their TOEFL score. If the examination reveals that the student does not possess an adequate command of English, the student will be required to enroll in English courses at FLS International and to reduce the graduate course load accordingly.

International students who wish to transfer from another university to Tennessee Tech must submit the usual materials required for initial admission; additionally, each applicant must furnish official transcripts from the current institution as well as a verification statement from that institution’s international student advisor, evidence of full financial responsibility, and photocopies of visa and passport expiration dates, I-94, and I-20 identification. Additional information concerning admission, degree requirements, and other aspects of graduate study at Tennessee Tech is found in the Graduate Catalog available online at www.tntech.edu/gcatalog/ or at the Graduate Studies website www.tntech.edu/graduatestudies/.

Students who are interested in graduate study in one of the aforementioned academic areas are invited to contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses. Under conditions established by the Graduate School Executive Committee, certain seniors may be permitted to take graduate courses for graduate or undergraduate credit. These conditions have been determined in keeping with standards suggested by various accrediting agencies. Seniors who have an interest in taking graduate courses may obtain additional information from personnel in the Office of Research and Graduate Studies, Derryberry Hall. Seniors may not register for any graduate courses (numbered 5000 and above) without obtaining prior written permission from the Associate Vice President of Research and Graduate Studies. Students who have not achieved senior classification are not permitted to take graduate courses. Students in the Second Bachelor Degree or Teacher Certification category may not register for graduate courses without obtaining prior permission from the Associate Vice President of Research and Graduate Studies.