Jun 02, 2023  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission to Graduate Studies

Applications for admission and readmission to Graduate Studies should be made to the College of Graduate Studies by the deadline published.

Each application must be supported by official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate credit, three recommendations from persons acquainted with the applicant’s scholastic and professional accomplishments (Master of Business Administration requires one recommendation), student health form and official scores made on the following: (1) all applicants into programs in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Ph.D. program in the College of Education, the major programs of Educational Psychology and Counselor Education, and all programs in the College of Engineering must submit scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination; (2) all applicants for admission into the Master of Business Administration program must submit scores on either the Graduate Management Admission Test or the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination; and (3) all Master’s and Ed.S. applicants into the College of Education (excluding programs in Educational Psychology and Counselor Education) must submit a recent score on the Miller Analogies Test or Graduate Record Examination.  Admission to graduate study is on a merit basis and is limited to applicants who hold an earned bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited institution whose undergraduate or graduate work is, in the opinion of the College of Graduate Studies and the chairperson of the department in which the applicant proposes to study, of sufficient quality and scope to indicate high promise of success in graduate study.  The University reserves the right to require additional information and/or performance when it appears that such would be appropriate to the accomplishment of degree requirements or the fulfillment of accreditation objectives.

International students having adequate preparation for graduate study may apply for admission, but applications should be filed at least six months prior to the anticipated date of enrollment. Additionally, all students from non-English speaking countries must submit proof of adequate training and ability in the use of English as evidenced by an acceptable score on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), PTE-Academic, FLS International Language Center, ELS, TOEIC, CEFR, or SLEP.  International students who wish to transfer from another university to Tennessee Tech must submit the usual materials required for initial admission; additionally, each applicant must furnish official transcripts from the current institution as well as evidence of full financial responsibility, and photocopies of visa and passport expiration dates, I-94, and I-20 identification. Additional information concerning admission, degree requirements, and other aspects of graduate study at Tennessee Tech is found in the Graduate Catalog available online at www.tntech.edu/gcatalog/ or at the Graduate Studies website www.tntech.edu/graduatestudies/.

Students who are interested in graduate study in one of the aforementioned academic areas are invited to contact the College of Graduate Studies.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses. Under conditions established by the Graduate Studies Executive Committee, certain seniors may be permitted to take graduate courses for graduate or undergraduate credit. These conditions have been determined in keeping with standards suggested by various accrediting agencies. Seniors who have an interest in taking graduate courses may obtain additional information from personnel in the College of Graduate Studies, Derryberry Hall. Seniors may not register for any graduate courses (numbered 5000 and above) without obtaining prior written permission from the College of Graduate Studies. Students who have not achieved senior classification are not permitted to take graduate courses. Students in the Second Bachelor Degree or Teacher Certification category may not register for graduate courses without obtaining prior permission from the College of Graduate Studies.