(Leading to the B.F.A. in Education Degree with endorsement, Grades K-12)
The degree Bachelor of Fine Arts, concentration in art education, prepares individuals to become art teachers in Grades K-12. The program for licensure in Art Education is designed to provide students with a broad liberal arts component, a program of professional studies, and a major in the teaching field. The purpose of the program, in keeping with the overall purpose of teacher education at Tennessee Technological University, is to foster the intellectual and creative growth of the preservice teacher, to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to become competent in communication and instruction, to develop the knowledge and skills in the content area necessary to the teacher to adapt the content to the needs of students, and to provide the teacher the means to acquire and implement strategies for developing creativity in students, regardless of the socioeconomic or physical/mental limitations of these students. With an Art Education degree, you can:
- Teach art in the public schools.
- Work in the education department of an art museum.
- Work as a recreation counselor in homes for the elderly.
- Have a good foundation to continue graduate work in Art Therapy.
- Teach art in day care centers.
- Teach art in after-school programs.
- Continue on with graduate studies and teach art in a university setting.